Friday, July 23, 2010

I love card challenges!

Each week I try to participate in Raq's card challenge found in the Cricut Card Forum.  You'll meet many great gals who are so talented and encouraging.  It's a great place to learn and receive feedback.


This card will be sent to Cards for Soldiers.  We were challenged to create cards with a "fruity" theme and the sketch from Raq's fit perfectly.  The cherries are cut at 2", using base, shift, and layers from the Preserves cartridge.  The layers on this cartridge are so easy to use.  I used the Polka Dots embossing folder with my Cuttlebug, added a little VersaChalk and some felt ribbon and that's it - simple with lots of room inside for the sender to write home.




I really wanted to use Life is a Beach so this sketch was perfect.  I used my Gypsy to create the design elements so that I could easily size them for layering and popping.  You'll notice more Cuttlebug embossing, chalking, and some sanding to bring out dimension. 

Speaking of "sketches", if you're new to cardmaking or scrapbooking, sketches are a great way to begin learning about layouts.  Many challenges provide a layout sketch to get you started.  Others provide "recipes" which are also helpful - colors, shapes, embellishments to use, for example.  Visit the Cricut Message Board and look up "Consider a Challenge."  It's a great place to start your journey.

2 comments:

Scrapping Cat said...

Larelyn...totally love this card...and your blog is fabulous...you did an awesome job on it...love the colors and everything. Thanks for posting your card to My Sheri

My Sheri CRAFTS said...

This card is PERFECT! So creative and detailed! Thanks so much for joining our challenge this week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...