Monday, July 28, 2014

Getting to Know Your Creative Side - A Unique Blog Hop

Hi Crafty Friends,
I hope you had a great weekend.  I'm so glad you've stopped by because today's post is a little different.  It's a long one so you may need to pull up a chair and maybe grab your favorite beverage!

I was asked to participate in a unique blog hop that is going around the blogesphere, I was tagged by the talented Sharla Richards whose blog is This Thing Called Life, you can read her post HERE.  I first met Sharla when we were designers for SKDigis and later at Open-Minded Crafting Fun.  Being on design teams is such a wonderful way to bring crafty hearts together. Sharla is so very talented.  Her Copic coloring is amazing and her clean style allows you really focus on her wonderfully colored images.  I think we're kindred spirits through our love of Copics and design style.  

So a little about MY creative side - I started paper crafting when my youngest daughter finished her master's degree at the University of Illinois in 2008.  We picked up a scrapbook at one of the bookstores and I told her I would "scrap" her collegiate memories.  After purchasing plastic shape stencils, fiskar cutters, and some paper, I started the book.  Then my SIL showed me her Cricut and the true journey began.  I joined the message boards, the Cricut Circle, a few challenges, and started my blog (all with the help of my online friends).  I applied for my first design team (Fantabulous Cricut) and so it went.  Card making and Copic markers (which I said I would NEVER buy, nor stamps!) came into my life along with digital images and teaching at my local scrapbook store.  My true passion was born.

I have always loved creating things with paper and fabric.  I began sewing when I was 15 and made all of my clothes through college.  I took tole painting lessons and was really into that until I got pregnant and couldn't handle the fumes.  I still crochet a little and have learned a bit about knitting, but paper crafting has consumed me. There for awhile the hubs thought I was having an affair with the UPS man - so many supplies were being delivered to my door!!!

What I am working on now??
I am on two design teams; Delightful Challenges, and Digi My World, so there are always cards in progress on my desk.  

I also teach a Copic coloring class (my ladies have been with me for 3 years!) so my classes are always in the works as well.  


And, I've started as a Close to My Heart consultant, so I'm familiarizing myself with the newest products and trying to build my business:  http://larelynsartini.ctmh.com - if you'd like to order through my website.  


What Do I Create? 

 I love, love, love making cards.  I have completed two scrapbooks with one more needing to be finished.  I have also made several mini albums and some altered art (canvas, glass blocks, composition books) and I love making treat boxes and favors.  I now have a Silhouette Cameo and will be doing a guest design spot for SVG Cutting Files.com in October, so I'm really having fun with cut files!    I'll also be a guest designer for Jaded Blossom in November.  These gals have fabulous stamps, dies, and boxes and bags for favors so I'm having a great time with their products making treat holders and things other than cards.                                 

                                                                                                                                
How My Creative Process works

I'm old enough to be from the era in which everything matched (eeeek!) so I'm a paper-first kind of gal.  I select my papers, design my card layout, and then color my image which will reflect my color choices in the papers.  I just can't seem to even come up with an idea until the paper "speaks" to me.  Weird, I know, but that's the way I work.  

My Style, How does it differ?

I have a simple, clean style.  It isn't very often that I add a lot of embellishment.  Shabby or distressed is a real stretch for me.  I do love ribbon and adding a few pearls or gems and I love, love, love layering and matting!!!

How Do I get and Stay Inspired?

I'm inspired by the gals who create the wonderful files that I have the privilege of using  It's a thrill to create cards for the special people in my life.  And, I'm most inspired by the amazing creations that are shared on blogs, Facebook, and Pinterest.  So many ideas, so much talent!!  


Ok, enough about me...and on to the talented ladies I've tagged. 

First, I've tagged Evelyn Holmberg whose blog is My Little Craft Blog.  Evelyn is a co-owner of the Cut It Up Challenge Blog.  You'll love seeing the amazing things Evelyn creates using cut files and her tutorials are fabulous!!  Evelyn and I met in blogland when we both designed for Melinda Beltran at Cooking with Cricut (now My Papercrafting World).  I know you'll love visiting her blog and I can't wait to learn more about her Creative Side on her post next Monday.

The next friend is Jane Savage.  Jane is a crafter from the UK and a new addition to Delightful Challenges.  Jane's blog is Paper, Pens, and Pretty Things.  Jane has a lovely style and her coloring is beautiful.  She's been on several design teams and her work has been selected as tops in lots of challenges.  I think you'll love visiting her blog and I'm sure she'd love to have you as a follower.

And finally, I've tagged Avril Watson.  Her blog is Crafting in the Bedroom (such a cute name).  Avril is another crafter from the UK.  We met as design team mates on Open-Minded Crafting Fun.  Susan Kennedy has brought so many fabulous crafters together with her OMCF challenge blog.  Avril uses both colored images and cut files in her creations.  She has a talent for creating the perfect scene or adding the perfect embellishment to make her designs special and unique to her.

Well that is it for this lengthy post!   Thanks for visiting and sticking with me to the end.  I hope you have a wonderful day!!   You won't want to miss Evelyn's, Avril's, and Jane's posts, they will go live on Monday August 4!!  
Photobucket

3 comments:

Melinda Beltran said...

Thank you for the fantastic insight into what has made and keeps making you....you!!!! Your beautiful cards always reflect your creativity. You are an inspiration all your own!
Big crafty hugs,
-Melin

Sharla said...

Wonderful post Larelyn, thank you so much for participating! I loved learning about your creative side and creative process...I like where you create the card with papers first and then color the images, I'd probably work a little faster if I did things that way too...but I just grab and color, then fight to find papers, etc that works well together! Thanks for all your fun projects, I love your treat bags and cut file projects! :)

Jane Savage said...

Thank you for the tag, Larelyn! Fabulous post! I love to find out what makes other crafters tick and how they work. Just naturally nosey I guess! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...